Welcome!

Welcome!



I hope you enjoy following my journey through France and Spain while walking the path of St. James, the pilgrimage road to Santaigo de Compostela.





"Pilgrimage was and is a spiritual exercise in the form of a journey to a place believed to be made holy by a sacred event, or that possesses the relics of a holy person or object."





Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hola from Leon!

Hello, the internet has become very difficult to access along the Camino. Usually 2 computers and 90 people who want to use them. lol I am having a wonderful hike, so much to see and share, so many new friends, so many laughs and communication barriers to break down. Two nights ago I stayed in Bercianos, what a wonderful stay and welcome, it was in a Parish albergue. From the first moment you walked out of the hot roads you had a kings welcome, while you waited to get a bed they brought cold honeydew melon for everyone, and added warm smiles to top it off. It is a parish albergure that has 48 beds but no one is ever turned away, they will throw mats on the floor for you, the first greeting you get is "Our house is your house, welcome". We all shared in the meal preparation and I had my first communial (sp) meal, so many people and so much fun, it was truly a blessing! Today I had to go to the hospital in Leon, perfect time as medical care can be sparse along the Camino, I had 2 doctors and between the two of them we were able to communicate somewhat well (I need to learn the local language when I travel again). They think I got bit by something as my finger is huge swelled up like a sausage, they gave me antibiotics and pain killers, the Camino does provide. My Camino family, now down to just Larry was worried I wouldn´t get a bed at the albergue because of my delay so tonight we are sharing a hotel room that he got just to be sure i had a place to sleep, the Camino provided again. It is very strange how when you have a need the Camino provides, I love it here. So for the hikes it has been, Terradillos to Bercianos, about 21km, walking through the town of Sahagun, I would have liked to visit more of that town. It was another nice hike with much to see. yesterday it was from Bercianos to Mansilla de las Mulas, about 32.5km, it was a long and very boring walk. Very flat and it paralleled a busy roadway, time to crank up the MP3 player and rock your way through the walk. Today was from Mansilla de las Mulas to Leon, a very easy 18.6km walk, we arrive in town about 9:30am, I had plenty of time to find medical care and now I will stay in a hotel room, it´s a real treat to only have 2 beds and 1 bathroom. :) Leon is huge and it has a beautiful Catedral also, many pictures to come. We have been sharing so many wonderful meals but tonight was a real treat, we found Burger King, double whopper, huge fries, and a beer, life is good. Buen Camino my friends!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 







































2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your finger! So, do they accept your medical insurance from Amercia or do you have to pay out of your pocket? Hope the infection goes away.
    Be careful!
    Glad you enjoyed a Burger King dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sherri, I am fine, the people here in Spain are so nice and caring, I love it here. I actually bought insurance for my trip, $4/day, what a bargain and I had no problems getting care in the hospital.
    Burger King really did rock after 19 days, everyday is a treat!

    ReplyDelete