Welcome!

Welcome!



I hope you enjoy following my journey through France and Spain while walking the path of St. James, the pilgrimage road to Santaigo de Compostela.





"Pilgrimage was and is a spiritual exercise in the form of a journey to a place believed to be made holy by a sacred event, or that possesses the relics of a holy person or object."





Saturday, September 22, 2012

Day 22, thoughts of the Camino.

Hola, well it has been 22 days of walking and our walking conversation has turned to sharing thoughts about the mental and physical challenges of walking for so long. After 22 days of the albergue lifestyle, the daily routine, and knowing that Santiago will be here in 10 days, we are being careful to not get too elated yet or to give up. Mentally the communal (sp) lifestyle can get to you, no private time, take your shower, do the laundry, go shop and prepare for the next day, many of us would like to sleep in for a change also. :) It´s funny though because after you do the chores and you have the time to share beers or vino with others, relax, have dinner, and just chill, you become ready for the next day and all of it´s challenges. Physically the Camino is a challenge as well, the daily pounding of your feet on rocks, gravel, hot pavement, etc. does not allow healing time for blisters or injuries but yet we walk on! The Camino cares for us and lately it tests us as well, I am anxious to reach Santiago but it is still about 162 miles away. Today was very fun, we walked from Astorga to Foncebadon, about 32km. I walked with my Camino friend PK, he is from Korea, he is 25, and he is very smart. He is learning English, French, and Spanish as he walks the Camino, we have had pretty good conversations for sure, always smiles and laughs. Foncebadon is very cool, it is a tiny mountain town, there are bulls, goats, chickens, etc. just wandering all through the town, by your hanging laundry or your outside table, very cool. I´m staying in an albergue that is a restored stone building, it has 1 toilet and 1 shower for 35 people but it is fun. I´m having dinner here, there are only 2 choices for dinner, no town store but we have beautiful views everywhere, it is at 1450 meters altitude, life is good. The road in town is dirt and rocks, I think you need a good car or jeep to live here. The hike today was full of elevation gains and losses with the last 6km uphill to Foncebadon. Yesterday we walked from Villavante to Astorga, it was an easy 23km walk. Astorga is beautiful, very many sacred sites, a Catedral, and much to see, I really enjoyed the afternoon there and took many nice pictures, the albergue was huge but crowded. I´m not sure if I mentioned this before but many places in Spain do not have toilet seats, you sit on the toilet, different and cold, lol! Buen Camino!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 



 


 
 










7 comments:

  1. AL,are you getting good at hoovering and is there time to read the morning news?lol
    No I have not caught a fish since the two Nooks at B10 last month. We leave for Indonesia on 9-30-12 so I won't be doing any more fishing till next spring now. How is your finger doing? Walk on my friend AL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been home for a while now, after we went to see Trans Siberian Orchestra and we talked about "No toilet seats" I finally understand hoovering...lol
      No I never hoovered but I will next time, too funny!

      Delete
  2. Al: I think Bob means "hovering" over the toilet bowl, not "hoovering"!! Totally different concepts, there!!! There was an article on MSN today on pilgrimages. They mentioned another one that you might find interesting...Via Francigena is a 1,240-mile pilgrimage route from Britain to Rome. You can do it, Al!! Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob and Gayle, have a gret trip to Indonesia, finger is much better, managing infections is a little tough but fun! lol
    Thanks Wayne, posted amny more, hope you enjoy them.
    Gayle, not sure if I am up to 1,240 miles, have to finish 500 miles for sure. One fellow I talked to on the Camino said Japan has a Camino walking around an island in Japan, I need to find that one, how cool would that be?
    Buen Camino.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the pictures! Good job! We were worried about you when you didn't blog for a while. Good to see you back on line. If you want to learn the language of the country where you are going to 'camino', I'd say Japan is out!! jk. Are you on schedule for the walk? Maybe you could take a day or two off? Take care of yourself. Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, Albert. Thanks for sharing your amazing journey with us. Looking forward to more! RR

    ReplyDelete